top of page

In The Village

Bighton Lane

Credit: Garry Allam, Bishop's Sutton Heritage; curated by Mark Allen

The river at Bishop's Sutton looking towards Pound Cottage. c1910

It's a bit grainy, but there is a chap filling buckets and emptying them in to the water barrel being towed by the horse. Pound Cottage would have been the village pound where stray animals were kept for collection by their owners

Bishop's Sutton, the river at Bighton Lane, c1910

Same view, 2011

Bishop's Sutton, the river at Bighton Lane, 2011

Google Maps

The Old Bridge, 2010

The old bridge with its low wall you could sit on or lean right over on or walk along , its ledge you could stand on .

its buttress you could climb up and down and its double arches which were just big enough for a small boy to crawl through if you dint mind getting wet.

Bishop's Sutton, the river at Bighton Lane, 2011

Google Maps

The New Bridge, 2015

Not quite the same...

Bishop's Sutton, the new bridge at Bighton Lane, 2015

Google Maps

Pound Cottage looking at the back 1947

The Pound was used to impound stray livestock cattle, pigs, geese, sheep ,etc. The strays were kept there for around three weeks until claimed by their owner and were released back to the owner when he had paid the impounder and the Pound keeper for the cost of feeding and watering, bedding etc. and the cost of any damage that the strays had done prior to them being impounded. If after the usual three weeks the animals had not been claimed they were usually taken to the nearest market and sold on to cover the costs.

Bishop's Sutton, Pound Cottage 1947

Tithe Map 1839 showing Pound Cottage

The actual pound was only 4 Perches in area, and was situated next to Pound Cottage on its south side. It would probably have been enclosed with a brick and or flint wall with a gate onto Church Lane, or even a simple post and rail pen. In 1839 it appears the Pound Keeper living in Pound Cottage was a John Brumble. In the 1870’s there was also a Pound at Judds corner where the council tip is today.

Bishop's Sutton,  Tithe Map 1839 showing Pound Cottage

1896 Map showing the embankment that supports Bighton Lane.

A local name for the section of Bighton Lane from the double bends to the railway bridge/Arch, although some call the whole hill from North Street to the Railway Bridge Arch Hill.

Bishop's Sutton, 1896 Map showing Arch Hill

2011 Showing the Arch Field level in respect of Bighton Lane

This stretch Obviously takes its name from the railway arch, lthough as kids we sometimes called the lower half up to the bends, Strawberry hill (because of the wild Strawberrys that grew there). The road has always followed the same course, but in the 1860’s the construction of the railway and the bridge which carries Bighton Lane over the cutting seems to have been raised up on an embankment from just above its junction with Green lane to just the other side of the bridge. This would mean that prior to the building of the bridge the descent would have been much steeper than today especially if you consider the ground level above the bridge and the ground level of the field below it.

Bishop's Sutton,  2011 Showing the Arch Field level

Google Maps

View of the Bighton Lane Railway Bridge from the train

The Railway line opened October 1865 as the Alton, Alresford & Winchester Railway, which was run by London and South West Railways.

Bishop's Sutton, View of the Bighton Lane Railway Bridge from the train

Entitled “By the stream Bishops Sutton” dated post mark 1939

Taken from the bridge in Bighton Lane with The Blenheims Cottage on the left

Bishop's Sutton, By The4 Stream 1939

Green Lane 1839 Tithe map

'Green Lanes' are often very old trackways or paths dating back centuries. The lane runs east-west: the west end terminates at Bighton Lane on the double-bends below the railway bridge and the west end at North Side Lane to the north of the council gravel tip at Judds Corner. There doesn't seem to be any evidence in the form of hedge lines footpaths or crop marks of it originally going any further in either direction. it may be that it would either have been used to avoid the lower routes of the now B3047 and Water Lane which would have been harder to use especially in the winter when the springs would have been high particularly prior to the upgrading of the now B3047 to a Turnpike in the mid 1750’s.

Bishop's Sutton, Green Lane

Green lane looking East form Bighton Lane

It is possible that it could have been a baulk (bank) between furlongs of the pre-Enclosure open fields. these wide grassy banks were used as access to the individual strips of ground contained within the furlong, but this needs more research to identify exactly how Bishops Sutton’s Open fields were set out. The name Greenaway is found in several fields on the north side of the lane.

Bishop's Sutton, Green Lane

Google Maps

bottom of page