The first section Is the short length of the west boundary with New Alresford. The length of the boundary between BIshops Sutton and New Alresford Parishes is only three quarters of a mile.
The perambulation starts on what is now the B3047 just the Alresford side of the Railway bridge at what was called Bowling Close Gate, and headed south with Bowling Close on the Sutton side and Marrow Ditch on the Alresford side.(Bowling close being subsequently cut through when the railway was built 120 years later). Sweatly Row is the hedge row on the west of the solar farm. The Cump would have been in the corner where the old section of White hill Lane is, when it was cut of by the A31 bypass. The boundary then runs west just north of the old section of White Hill lane, then turns south again to cross the old White Hill Lane at its junction with Appledown lane. Appledown Gate would have been about there.
Credit: Garry Allam, Bishop's Sutton Heritage; curated by Mark Allen
The field abutted onto the west side of Bishop's Sutton Manor farmyard (Church farm). In 1839 it was a small area of pasture measuring three acres two rods and nine perches in area.
Plat is a variation of plot e.g a plot of land. Hog refers to sheep - a shortened form of Hogget (a yearling sheep between one and two years old). Hampshire was famous for its sheep and Alresford Sheep Fair was a fine example of the popularity (hence the term Hampshire Hog, which comes from hogget and not a pig)
Hog Plat as it sits today
Hop Gardens, Tithe Map 1939
In 1839 this referred to the field that was to the north of the then Upper Mill pond (note the little island of land in the middle) now the watercress bed next to North court. Subsequently also called Hop Gardens, where hops were grown chiefly used in the brewing of beer
Hop Gardens 1947 Aerial photo
Looking north, Blenheims Cottage in foreground, North Court top right. And Hop gardens above the cress bed.
Osiers and Witheys, OS map 1880
There were two Small patches of ground either side of Arle House between Mill Lane and Western court farm.
The bigger patch called Osiers measured one rod and thirty one Perches in area and The Osiers just thirteen perches. Described in 1839 as Osiers Withey.
Osiers are a type of Willow tree (usually Salix Viminalis) which were grown on watery ground and coppiced every couple years. The harvested stems were called Withys and were used chiefly for basket making and for thatching.