In The Village

North Street

Credit: Garry Allam, Bishop's Sutton Heritage; curated by Mark Allen


1881 Map showing route of North Street

The name comes from its' location rather than its direction, being north of the main settlement of Bishops Sutton. Today it connects Bassets Farm (for a while called North Street farm) and Bighton Lane with Hobbs Close, formerly Hobbs Yard and Cottages (a small farm located near the present Hobbs close). As it is now, it was probably connected to Water Lane.

However, it looks like at its western end where it terminates at the junction with Bighton lane, that it once continued across Bighton lane along the track that runs along the north edge of North court. The route carried on west running north of the river connecting with Sutton Mill and then Western Court. Further back between the connecting track to the mill and North court a spur ran north giving access to the fields north of where the railway line now runs.

old-maps.co.uk

Remnant of roadway running to the north of North Court. Looking from Bighton lane westward 2011

Bishop's Sutton, North Street -  remnant of roadway running to the North of North Street

North Street Cottage from the south circa 1910

The Cottage that used to stand in the field south of North Street. Archie Norris lived there as a boy and he told me that although it looked picturesque in fact it was very dilapidated with dirt floors and when he laid in bed at night he could see the stars through the thatched roof.

The place was demolished about 1939 and the family were moved into a new council house at Hobbs close. In 1839 it was described as a cottage, garden, orchard and yard.

Bishop's Sutton, North Street Cottge

North Street Cottage: Map 1909 showing site with modern places in red

old-maps.co.uk

View of where North Street Cottage would have stood 2011 from Water Lane

Bishop's Sutton, North Street Cottage site

The Granary at Bassetts Farm in North Street

The Granary dates from the 1700’s. It has a timber frame weather boarded and double doors in the side and it sits on 9 Staddle stones. It was used mainly for the storage of grain, which was protected from vermin and the damp by the staddle stones.

As a boy, we used to gain access underneath via some loose boards - I seem to remember it was partitioned but that was close to half a century ago now.

Bishop's Sutton, the staddle-stoned granary at Bassetts Farm

Bassett farm from the South, aerial 1947

The farmhouse - or as it’s called today Bassett Farm Cottage is a listed building dating from the 18th century. The name most likely comes from Thomas Bassett or Bassatt a yeoman of Bishops Sutton who died in 1813. By 1839 it was owned by Josesph Bailey esq. in the tenancy of Samuel Davies, farmer.

Bishop's Sutton, Bassett farm from the South, aerial 1947

Bassett Farm Cottage 2002


The yard to the east and an orchard to the west (where the Granary is now) was held by Charles Pain who in turn held it by Copyhold from the Warden and fellows of Winchester College. Davies occupied ground as far east as Sutton Wood and indeed there was a small field next to Sutton Wood called Bassets Piece. For most of the twentieth century, it was occupied by the farm bailiff or manager of Church /Bishops Sutton Manor Farm. For a short time from around 1896-1910 it was called North Street Farm but reverted back to Bassett Farm by 1911.

Bishop's Sutton, Bassett Farm Cottage 2002

Dairy Cottage: 1839 and 1975 map showing Dairy cottage and position of a demolished tenement of two or three dwellings pulled down by 1873

Dairy Cottage, part of Bassett's Farm and next to Bassett's Farm Cottage has a single storey dairy wing to the rear and a service wing.

Bishop's Sutton, Dairy Cottage

old-maps.co.uk

Dairy Cottage in 2011

Bishop's Sutton, Dairy Cottage

Google Maps

Bassetts Farm, Dairy Cottage & Dairy

Probably early 1980s as the last of the watercress beds in the field are present.

Bishop's Sutton, Dairy Cottage