The first section Is the short length of the west boundary with New Alresford. The length of the boundary between BIshops Sutton and New Alresford Parishes is only three quarters of a mile.
The perambulation starts on what is now the B3047 just the Alresford side of the Railway bridge at what was called Bowling Close Gate, and headed south with Bowling Close on the Sutton side and Marrow Ditch on the Alresford side.(Bowling close being subsequently cut through when the railway was built 120 years later). Sweatly Row is the hedge row on the west of the solar farm. The Cump would have been in the corner where the old section of White hill Lane is, when it was cut of by the A31 bypass. The boundary then runs west just north of the old section of White Hill lane, then turns south again to cross the old White Hill Lane at its junction with Appledown lane. Appledown Gate would have been about there.
Credit: Garry Allam, Bishop's Sutton Heritage; curated by Mark Allen
The Old Mill House, Mill Cottage (now Alre House) bottom left and the now abandoned watercress beds at Western Court, 1947
The mill house is a 17th century and 18th century timber framed building encased in and fronted by brick. The actual corn mill building was dismantled in the early 20th century and I think was attached to the back of the house on its right hand side.
it is said it had a breastshot waterwheel. By 1978 all that remained was the head tail race and wheel pit. The mill was recorded in 1086 and has numerous mentions in the Bishop's Pipe Rolls from 1208 to 1710
Mill Lane End Circa 1910, looking towards village from Alresford
The cottage in the foreground is now demolished and was replaced by Dell Cottage. The middle House (Pembroke Cottage) and the furthest is Mill Lane (End) Cottage. Out of site between Mill Lane Cottage and Pembroke Cottage is Pickwick Cottage, Florence Ville and carpentry works. This end of the village was mainly the domain of the Corbett family, most of the cottages up Mill Lane were 2 Pembroke Cottage 2 and Dell Cottage