The first section Is the short length of the west boundary with New Alresford. The length of the boundary between BIshops Sutton and New Alresford Parishes is only three quarters of a mile.
The perambulation starts on what is now the B3047 just the Alresford side of the Railway bridge at what was called Bowling Close Gate, and headed south with Bowling Close on the Sutton side and Marrow Ditch on the Alresford side.(Bowling close being subsequently cut through when the railway was built 120 years later). Sweatly Row is the hedge row on the west of the solar farm. The Cump would have been in the corner where the old section of White hill Lane is, when it was cut of by the A31 bypass. The boundary then runs west just north of the old section of White Hill lane, then turns south again to cross the old White Hill Lane at its junction with Appledown lane. Appledown Gate would have been about there.
Credit: Garry Allam, Bishop's Sutton Heritage; curated by Mark Allen
Hobbs Close, 1947 - from the South
There are several mentions of a family called Hobbs in the early 1700’s in Bishop's Sutton so is the likely source of the name.
he row of houses to the south of the Council houses was called Darvill Terrace and was demolished in the 1960’s. Hobbs close was the name of a field which the local authority acquired in the 1930’s and started the building of Council houses, of which the first batch of three were erected by 1937, followed by five more in 1939.
Over the years, more houses were built - mostly bungalows by the 1970’s by both local authority and private developers. In 1996 Riverhead development was completed by a housing association, and another three large houses were built close to the site of North street.
Hobbs Close, 1947 - from the North
Before and After
This map of Water Lane shows the site where Hobbs Close was to be built, and the original site of the Darvills in 1881
In the 1975 map you can see Hobbs Close pretty much as it is now, but with the RiverHead houses on the left hand side of the small road going North - now Water Lane.
Water Lane itself can be seen in 1881 to be a road going all the way to Northside Lane, then gone from the start of the houses into a field footpath by 1975.