Around the Village - North West
Garry Allam, Bishop's Sutton Heritage
The field abutted onto the west side of Bishop's Sutton Manor farmyard (Church farm). In 1839 it was a small area of pasture measuring three acres two rods and nine perches in area.
Plat is a variation of plot e.g a plot of land.
Hog refers to sheep - a shortened form of Hogget (a yearling sheep between one and two years old). Hampshire was famous for its sheep and Alresford Sheep Fair was a fine example of the popularity (hence the term Hampshire Hog, which comes from hogget and not a pig)
Hog Plat as it sits today
Hop Gardens, Tithe Map 1939
In 1839 this referred to the field that was to the north of the then Upper Mill pond (note the little island of land in the middle) now the watercress bed next to North court. Subsequently also called Hop Gardens, where hops were grown chiefly used in the brewing of beer
Hop Gardens 1947 Aerial photo
Looking north, Blenheims Cottage in foreground, North Court top right. And Hop gardens above the cress bed.
Osiers and Witheys, OS map 1880
There were two Small patches of ground either side of Arle House between Mill Lane and Western court farm.
The bigger patch called Osiers measured one rod and thirty one Perches in area and The Osiers just thirteen perches. Described in 1839 as Osiers Withey.
Osiers are a type of Willow tree (usually Salix Viminalis) which were grown on watery ground and coppiced every couple years. The harvested stems were called Withys and were used chiefly for basket making and for thatching.
Example of Osier bed (not in Bishop's Sutton